Vikram Sarabhai was a great scientist and institutional builder who had established several institutions in various fields. One of his greatest achievements is the establishment of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
In 1947, he came back to India from Cambridge and persuaded the charitable trust that is controlled by his family and friends near his home in Ahmedabad.
He established Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad on 11 November, 1947 which was the first laboratory of independent India.
Name: Vikram Sarabhai
Date of Birth: 12 August, 1919
Place of Birth: Ahmedabad, India
Famous as: Scientist, Physicist
Father’s Name: Ambalal Sarabhai
Mother’s Name: Sarla Devi
Spouse/Ex: Mrinalini Sarabhai
Children: Kartikeya Sarabhai, Mallika Sarabhai
Died on: 30 December, 1971
Place of Death: Halcyon Castle, Kovalam In Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Vikram Sarabhai: Early Life and Family
- He was born on 12 August, 1919 in the city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat, India.
- He is one of the eight children of Ambalal Sarabhai and Sarla Devi.
- He belongs to rich family who managed several textile mills.
- He passed his intermediate examination in Science subject from the Gujarat College in Ahmedabad and then for further studies he went to England.
- He was an intelligent student and from his childhood he had an interest in science.
In England in 1940, he took admission at the St John’s College, University of Cambridge and pursue Tripos in Natural Sciences. In 1942, he published his first scientific paper ‘Time Distribution of Cosmic Rays’.
In 1945, he came back to Cambridge for further research on cosmic rays and earned his PhD degree for his thesis ‘Cosmic ray investigations in tropical latitudes’.
In 1947, he came back to India and then joined the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore to carry out research on cosmic rays.
Let us tell you that scientist C.V Raman advised him to do research on cosmic rays.
He was married to Mrinalini Sarabhai and had two children Mallika and Kartikeya Sarabhai.
Vikram Sarabhai: Career and Achievements
– He came to India when India got its independence and so, he felt the need for better scientific facilities.
For this, he established The Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad in November 1947.
– The founding director of PRL is K.R Ramanathan, an atmospheric scientist. Under his guidance the institute became the leading organisation of cosmic rays and space sciences.
– He is the founding director of Indian institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad. In 1961, with the help of businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai he set up an institute of learning.
– He played a crucial role in establishing the Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University (CEPT University) in Ahmedabad in 1962. University offers courses for undergraduate and postgraduate programs in subjects like architecture, planning and technology.
– He established the Nehru Foundation for Development in 1965 which focus on the current problems of society and individual development.
- Sarabhai Community Science Centre (VASCSC) in 1960s with an aim to promote science and mathematics education among students and general public.
– Dr, Homi Bhabha always supported Vikram Sarabjhai in most of his projects and was the pioneer in the field of nuclear research in India. Not only this Bhabha helped Vikram Sarabhai in setting up the first rocket launching station at Thumba on the coast of the Arabian Sea.
On 21 November, 1963, the inaugural flight was launched.
– The most significant contribution of Vikram Sarabhai is in establishing the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in 1969. The objective behind establishing it is to advance the space technology and apply it for national benefits.
Major work of Vikram Sarabhai is to establish ISRO and contributed immensely in the field of science.
He is regarded as the Father of the Indian Space Program.
Some of the Institutions established by Dr. Vikram Sarabhai are:
– Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad
– Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
– Community Science Centre, Ahmedabad
– Darpan Academy for Performing Arts, Ahmedabad (along with his wife)
– Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuramm
– Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad (This institution came into existence after merging six institutions/centres established by Sarabhai)
– Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR), Kalpakkam
– Varaiable Energy Cyclotron Project, Calcutta
– Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad
– Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL), Jaduguda, Bihar